Leibniz
"THE GAME CALLED SOLITAIRE pleases me much," the great
German mathematician Gottfried von Leibniz wrote in a letter
in 1716. "I take it in reverse order. That is to say, instead
of making a figure according to the rules of the game,
which is to jump to an empty place and remove the piece over
which one has jumped, I thought it better to reconstruct
what had been demolished by filling an empty hole over which
one has leaped. In this way one may set oneself the task of
forming a given figure if that is possible, as it certainly is
if it can be destroyed. But why all this? you ask. I reply: to
perfect the art of invention. For we must have the means
of constructing everything which is found by the exercise of
reason."
in Martin Gardner's "The Unexpected Hanging"
German mathematician Gottfried von Leibniz wrote in a letter
in 1716. "I take it in reverse order. That is to say, instead
of making a figure according to the rules of the game,
which is to jump to an empty place and remove the piece over
which one has jumped, I thought it better to reconstruct
what had been demolished by filling an empty hole over which
one has leaped. In this way one may set oneself the task of
forming a given figure if that is possible, as it certainly is
if it can be destroyed. But why all this? you ask. I reply: to
perfect the art of invention. For we must have the means
of constructing everything which is found by the exercise of
reason."
in Martin Gardner's "The Unexpected Hanging"

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home